There are three main goals of the licensing changes in the latest release of ANSYS:
- Deliver Ansys licensing using the FlexLM industry standard
- Eliminate the Ansys licensing interconnect
- Provide modular licensing options that are easier to understand
- Finally – and this is the whopper (or Double Double if you’re an In-N-Out kind of analogy person) – this new licensing model eliminates the need for upgrading the Ansys License Manager with every software update. (please pause for shock recovery)
Why is this significant? Well, this was always a sticking point for our customers when upgrading from one version to the next.
Here’s how that usually plays out:
- Engineers eager to try out new features or overcome software defects, download the software and install it on their workstations.
- Surprise – software throws an obscure licensing error.
- Engineer notifies IT or Ansys Channel partner of issue.
- After a few calls, maybe a screenshare or two, its determined that the license server needs to be upgraded.
- The best-case scenario – IT or PADT Support can get it installed in a few minutes and engineer can be on his way.
- The usual scenario – it will take a week to schedule downtime on the server and notify all stakeholders and the engineer is left to simmer on medium-low until those important safeguards are handled.
What does this all mean?
- Starting in January 2020, all new Ansys keys issued will be in the new format and will require upgrading to the 2020R1 License manager. This should be the last mandatory license server upgrade for a while.
- Your Ansys Channel Partner will contact you ahead of your next renewal to discuss new license increments and if there are any expected changes.
- Your IT and Ansys support team will be celebrating in the back office the last mandatory Ansys License Manager upgrade for a while.
How to upgrade the Ansys License Manager?
Download the latest license manager through the Ansys customer portal:
- www.support.ansys.com > Downloads > Current Release > Tools > Ansys License Manager
Follow installation instructions and add the latest license file:
- Ansys has a handy video on this here
- Make sure that you run the installed as an administrator for best results.
Make sure license server is running and has the correct licenses queued:
- Look for the green checkmark in the license management center window.
- Start your application and make sure everything looks good.
This was a high-level flyover of the new Ansys Licensing released with version 2020R1. For specifics contact your PADT Account manager or email@example.com .